Breast enlargement is a leading cosmetic surgery that entails the insertion of implants to enhance the size and shape of the breasts. Like any surgical procedure, breast augmentation comes with potential risks and complications, one of which is a breast pocket mishap. This occurs when the implant moves out of its intended position to result in an unnatural or asymmetrical shape. In this article, we will discuss the result of a breast pocket mishap and what may be done to correct it.
What is a Breast Pocket Mishap?
A breast pocket mishap occurs when the implant moves out of its intended position within the breast pocket. The breast pocket is a space created by the surgeon during the breast augmentation surgery to hold the implant. But if the breast pocket is not created correctly, or if there is an error during the surgery, then the implant may shift out of place and cause an unnatural breast appearance.
Symptoms of a Breast Pocket Mishap
- Asymmetry – breasts look different in size, shape, or position.
- Implant Malposition – implant may appear too high, too low, or too far to one side.
- Rippling or Wrinkling – implant may create visible ripples or wrinkles on the surface of the breast.
- Visible Edges – edges of the implant may be visible or palpable, creating an unnatural appearance.
- Discomfort or Pain – some patients may experience discomfort or pain in the affected breast.
Treatment Options for a Breast Pocket Mishap
Do you suspect that you have experienced a breast pocket mishap? Then you need to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon so they can assess your condition and recommend an appropriate treatment plan.
Some potential techniques that plastic surgeons may use to address this concern include:
- Implant Replacement – has the implant has shifted significantly out of position? Then your plastic surgeon may need to replace it with a new implant.
- Capsulorrhaphy – this is a surgical procedure that involves tightening the breast pocket to reposition the implant.
- Capsulectomy – a capsulectomy is a surgical procedure that involves removing the scar tissue that has formed around the implant to reposition the implant.
- Revision Surgery – in some cases, a revision surgery may be necessary to correct the breast pocket mishap.
Preventing Breast Pocket Mishaps
Breast pocket mishaps may be prevented by selecting a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon who has a good track record of performing successful breast augmentation surgeries. You may also reduce the risk of a mishap by carefully following all pre-operative and post-operative instructions provided by your breast surgeon.
Breast pocket mishaps may be a frustrating and distressing complication of breast augmentation surgery. However, with prompt diagnosis and appropriate treatment, most cases of breast pocket mishaps are treatable. Just let your surgeon know if you suspect you have a case of breast pocket mishap so that they can create an appropriate treatment plan based on your specific case.